Tech N' Gadgets

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Use Contribution Sytem: My Experience with it

Few days back, we had an internal seminar on User Contribution System and I'm publishing my presentation which had two parts; one is My Experience with User Contribution System and other is What we can do in our company.
Here's the first part:

Throughout my professional life, I’ve taken advantages of various User Contribution mediums like:
1. Codeguru.com: Always been a great resource of beautiful code written voluntarily by best programmers in the world.
2. PlanetSourceCode.com: Did everything possible on this. Posted various codes, Used several codes and discussed on complex logic and algorithms.
3. Gamedev.com: Full of technical articles, forums, wiki and enough for anybody to get started or to be the best in the world.
4. Allpm.com: My weekly stopover. This site has benefitted me a lot in terms of discussing my problems or solving my problems. Great resource for all project managers and above.
5. Amazon.com/ebay.com: I don’t buy anything from amazon.com if the seller or the product is not highly rated or well accepted. If I simply go by what buyer claims, maximum chances are to be cheated. Remove user rating, comments and discussion from these sites and these will be body without soul and will just be a catalogue.
6. LINUX: I must mention this. Without User Contribution, it couldn’t have been this big and today it’s challenging the biggest software organization of the world. Do I need to say more about this....
7. Wiki: My constant source of information. Though I don’t completely rely upon this but it’s a good first point entry for me. See the power of this that Britannica once claimed Wiki as Public Urinal but finally Britannica also opened its content to be edited and shared by the users. Power of User Contribution for sure \00/
8. IMDB: I use it immensely. Whenever I make my list on Bigflix, I check IMDB ratings, story lines and comments and then only Queue those in my list.
9. Blogs: Being a blogger myself (Dead for sometime but FYI techngadgets.blogspot.com) and big time fan of Chris Fiessinger, Steven Haden, Shashank, Alastair Patrick, several MIT guy etc for my daily dose of technology and information. Blog for me is much more important than news paper or wiki.
10. Survey by Various Product Companies: Most of the companies like Yahoo, Microsoft, Adecco, Google etc keep on flashing “Fill the Survey” when we visit their products or install their products. This is a great way to capture expectation, recommendation etc.
Long back I’d read an article about how Microsoft started with Windows. When they were selling DOS like hot cakes, they sent a survey to all their users, universities etc asking if they’d be interested in graphical OS. Only 30% people said that they wanted it and it was Microsoft’s forward looking (Extinct now) strategy that they thought at least 30% people are demanding and will use it and they started working on Windows. Even now Microsoft has a dedicated page for feedback collection (http://wfp.microsoft.com/).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home